In maintaining personal fitness in West Chester, some people get very set in the indoor vs. outdoor exercise camps. Truth be told, there are benefits to each, but for the long haul, perhaps one trumps the other.
Indoor Exercise Vs. Outdoor Exercise
There are definite pros and cons to both indoor and outdoor exercising for fitness in West Chester. Let’s take a look.
- Gets you out enjoying nature and helps fill a natural desire
- Allows you to easily avoid socializing…which may or may not be a good thing
- Is low cost
- You are exposed to pollution in high-traffic areas
- Depending on the area, safety may be an issue
- Lacks the motivational support of others
- Presents the possibility of unforeseen obstacles
- Is unstable and unpredictable
The biggest problem with outdoor exercise is probably the weather. Certain conditions are just plain unsafe and others make it far too easy to excuse away exercising for the day; and sometimes that excuse can be used for weeks or months on end.
This brings us to indoor [gym] exercise, with…
- Stable environmental conditions that are safe, maintained, and predictable
- Social opportunities
- Support and motivation of others
- Motivation of a bright, conducive atmosphere expressly for the purpose of exercising
- Less of a feeling of ‘aloneness’
- Consistent availability
- Multiple equipment, exercise, and program options in one place
- Well, it’s not like being outside in the sun
- May cost more, depending on activities
- More distracting to do at home (because there’s always life & family getting in the way)
Best Of Both Worlds?
All in all, and especially where the long term is concerned, indoor exercise is just more reliable. For long term fitness success and consistent devotion, you can plan on needing to take it inside some or all of the time.
Does that mean you can’t break from routine every now and then or add an outdoor element when conditions are right? Certainly not, but our focus here really is long term fitness in West Chester.
In It For The Long Haul
Truly sustainable exercise programs present opportunities to diversify your fitness in West Chester routine. That means learning how to effectively plan a routine, get the support you need, and learning to mix things up a bit. Perhaps an additional outside activity is just the thing to do that; to be sure that you can commit to regular fitness performance, best to use indoor facilities as your foundation.
Regardless of where you exercise, how you exercise is of utmost importance. Seek the guidance of a professional trainer, learn what to do (and how) both with him/her and without, and develop a fitness in West Chester plan that works for you.
Premier Personal Training with Dennis Carroll is located in West Chester, PA and serves clients in West Chester, Downingtown and Exton. Every client at Premier receives the individual training needed to successfully reach their goals. All programs come with a 100% money back guarantee, so why not get started today? Don’t hesitate! Sign up for a Free Fitness Program Consult now!